Home Remedies for Earache and Sore Throat: 2 ways
- I- Symptoms of Sore Throat and Earache
- II- Causes of sore throat and ear pain
- III- Diagnosing sore throat and ear pain
- IV- Home Remedies for Earache and Sore Throat?
- 1- Home Remedies for Earache and Sore Throat : Using honey
- 2. Home Remedies for Earache and Sore Throat : Using chives
- V- Medical treatment
- VI- When do you need to see a doctor?
Sore throat and ear pain can have many different causes. Basically, a sore throat is not a cause for concern and will go away on its own after a while. Conversely, an earache that accompanies a sore throat could be a sign of tonsillitis, mononucleosis, or another medical condition that requires treatment.
Let's learn about the causes of sore throat and ear pain and Home Remedies for Earache and Sore Throat in the following article.
Home Remedies for Earache and Sore Throat: 2 ways
People often assume that a sore throat and an earache are symptoms that are too obvious and predictable to cause them. However, in fact, depending on the cause of the pain, the manifestation and severity of the pain vary.
Symptoms of a sore throat include:
- Mild to severe pain in the back of the throat
- There is a feeling of dryness or discomfort in the throat
- Feeling pain when swallowing food or talking
- Throat is red
- Swollen tonsils
- Jaws and glands in the neck are swollen
- Appearance of white patches on tonsils
Meanwhile, ear pain is manifested by the following symptoms:
- Constant, dull pain in one or both ears
- Stuffy ears
- There is a feeling of fullness in the ear
- Discharge ears
- Hearing strange sounds inside the ear
Depending on the cause, a sore throat and an earache can be accompanied by a headache, fever, and feeling tired.
Sore throat and ear pain usually originate from the following causes:
1 - Allergy
Allergens such as pollen and dust can trigger an allergic reaction, causing inflammation of the mucous membranes along the nasal cavity and ears. This leads to postnasal drip (a condition in which excess mucus builds up and runs down the throat). Postnasal drip is one of the most common causes of sore throat and irritation.
In addition, the inflammation also causes the ear to become blocked because the mucus cannot drain properly. As the pressure in the ear increases, earaches will begin to form.
In addition, allergies also cause symptoms such as:
- Itchy or watery eyes
- Stuffy nose
Tonsillitis is inflammation that occurs in the tonsils – two lymphatic tissues located on either side of the throat. Tonsillitis occurs at any age but is most common in children. Tonsillitis is usually caused by bacteria or viruses.
Home Remedies for Earache and Sore Throat? / ph: pexels
Red, swollen tonsils and sore throat are the most common symptoms of this disease. In addition, tonsillitis causes problems such as:
- Sore throat and ear pain when swallowing
- Swollen lymph nodes in the neck
- Appearance of white or yellow patches on the tonsils
Mononucleosis is an infectious disease caused by a virus. Teenagers are at high risk for this disease. The illness usually lasts for weeks with symptoms such as:
- Sore throat
- Swollen lymph nodes in the neck, armpits and groin
- Muscle aches
3- Strep throat
Strep throat is an infectious disease caused by Streptococcus bacteria. Strep throat causes severe sore throats if not treated early. In some cases, bacteria that cause throat infections can get into the eustachian tube and middle ear, leading to an ear infection.
Other symptoms of strep throat include:
- White patches or pus appearing on the tonsils
- Small red spots on roof of mouth
- Swollen lymph nodes in front of neck
4- Acid reflux causes sore throat and earache
Acid reflux occurs when acid from the stomach backs up into the esophagus. If you regularly experience acid reflux, you may have gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD) – a more serious form of acid reflux.
Acid reflux symptoms tend to be worse when the person is lying down, bending over, or after eating. Heartburn is the most common symptom of acid reflux. In addition, this disease also has other symptoms such as:
- There is a sour taste in the mouth
- Reflux of food, liquid or bile
- Sore throat and hoarseness
- Feeling of a lump inside the throat
5- Chronic sinusitis
Chronic sinusitis is an inflammation of the sinus cavities that lasts for at least 12 weeks even with treatment. Sinusitis can interfere with mucus drainage, causing a buildup that leads to swelling and pain in the face.
Other symptoms of chronic sinusitis include:
- Thick and unusually colored mucus
- Stuffy nose
- Sore throat pain ear pain
- Pain in the upper teeth
6- Exposure to irritants
Long-term exposure to tobacco smoke or exposure to toxic chemicals can cause irritation in the eyes, nose, and throat. In addition, these substances also affect the ears, causing inflammation of the mucous membranes and irritation of the lungs.
Common irritants include:
- Cigarette smoke
- Wood dust
- Oven cleaner
- Industrial cleaning products
- Paint thinner
7- Temporomandibular joint disorders cause sore throat and ear pain
Temporomandibular joint disorders (TMD) are a group of conditions that affect the temporomandibular joints located on each side of the jaw. Not only causing pain, TMD also causes dysfunction in these joints, affecting the ability to control movement of the jaw.
This condition is common in people who have a habit of grinding their teeth. However, until now, the cause of temporomandibular joint disorder has not been determined precisely.
Common symptoms of temporomandibular joint disorders include:
- Pain in the jaw, which may radiate down the neck
- Pain in one or both joints
- Chronic headache
- Face pain
- Hearing strange sounds when moving the jaw
In some cases, TMD will cause a sore throat, earache, discomfort, and tinnitus.
8- Tooth infection or abscess
A tooth abscess is the formation of pockets of pus in different parts of the tooth due to bacterial infection. Tooth abscesses often cause severe pain around the jaw area and spread to the ear. In addition, an abscess can also cause the lymph nodes in the neck to become swollen and painful.
Other symptoms of a tooth abscess include:
- Sensitivity to hot or cold foods
- Pain when chewing and swallowing
- Swelling in the cheeks or face
To diagnose a sore throat and earache, your doctor will take your medical history and do a physical exam. During this procedure, your doctor will examine your ears and throat for signs of infection and swollen lymph nodes.
If your doctor suspects you have strep throat, your doctor may take a swab from your throat to check for the bacteria causing the infection.
Several other tests will be done to diagnose the cause of a sore throat and earache, such as:
- Blood tests
- Nasopharyngeal endoscopy to examine the inside of the nose and throat
- Tympanometry to check the middle ear
- Laryngoscopy to check for problems in the larynx
- Swallow barium to check for acid reflux
Treatment of sore throat and ear pain
Sore throats and earaches can be treated with home or hospital remedies. Treatment will be selected based on the symptoms of the disease.
Taking time to rest and drinking plenty of fluids are simple and effective remedies if you have a sore throat, an earache caused by a cold, or an infection in your throat, sinuses, and ears.
Alternatively, you can also try the following home remedies:
- Use a humidifier to help keep your throat and nose moist
- Take over-the-counter (OTC) pain relievers
- Use an OTC sore throat lozenge or a sore throat spray
- Take OTC antihistamines
- Gargle with salt water
- Eat ice or ice cream when sore and sore throat
- Put a few drops of warm olive oil in the ear
- Using antacids or OTC treatments for GER
In addition to using Western medicine, patients can use some Home Remedies for Earache and Sore Throat to overcome sore throat and ear pain when the disease is new. This approach causes less side effects, helping patients save on treatment costs. Natural materials can be used such as:
Honey is one of the natural ingredients that bring many values to human health. In particular, it is widely used in overcoming problems related to the respiratory tract. Honey inherently has a natural sweetness, warmth, anti-inflammatory, antibacterial, repels unpleasant symptoms for the patient, promotes quick recovery of mucosal wounds.
You can use honey to make a drink every day to help improve sore throat. Not only that, after a period of use, the body's resistance is also improved, against the invasion of bacteria and viruses. Use in the following common ways:
1.1- Home Remedies for Earache and Sore Throat : Drink ginger tea + honey
- Take a fresh ginger root, wash, thinly slice.
- Then take a few slices of ginger and steep it in boiling water.
- After 10-15 minutes, add a little honey, stir well and enjoy.
- Drinking 2 cups a day helps to quickly reduce uncomfortable symptoms for patients.
1.2- Home Remedies for Earache and Sore Throat : Drink honey and lemon juice
- Stir some honey with warm water.
- Then squeeze into a glass of honey water the juice of ½ lemon.
- Drink when the water is still warm, can be drunk in the morning to strengthen the resistance, improve the condition of sore throat and earache.
1.3- Home Remedies for Earache and Sore Throat : Soak garlic in honey
- Peel fresh garlic, which can be thinly sliced or crushed.
- Then, put all the freshly prepared garlic into a glass jar.
- Fill the inside with honey, close the lid tightly and store in a cool, dry place.
- After 2 weeks, you can take it out and use it.
- Eating garlic and honey about 4-5 cloves every day, the uncomfortable symptoms caused by sore throat and earache will improve significantly.
Besides honey, chives are also one of the ingredients used to improve sore throat and earache. Chives contain many natural antibiotics that help improve the symptoms caused by the disease. Patients can use chives in the following ways:
2.1- Home Remedies for Earache and Sore Throat : Drinking chives water to treat ear infections
- Use about 1 handful of fresh chives, washed.
- Crush the chives and squeeze out the juice.
- Put 2-3 drops of chives in the ear to quickly reduce the inflammation.
- Do this for 5-7 consecutive days.
2.2- Home Remedies for Earache and Sore Throat : Combine chives with rock sugar
- Use fresh chives along with rock sugar.
- Wash the chives and cut them into medium pieces.
- Then put the chives in a bowl, add rock sugar and proceed with steaming.
- After 15 minutes, turn off the stove, take out the shallot leaves to eat and drink all the water.
- Doing it for about 1 week to feel the positive change in the body.
Home Remedies for Earache and Sore Throat can help patients improve the symptoms of sore throat and earache. However, this method is suitable for newly recovered disease, mild stage. Severe cases of the disease require more intensive intervention. At this time, the patient needs to go to a medical facility to examine and receive treatment instructions from a specialist.
Most throat and ear infections clear up after a few weeks without treatment. You will only be prescribed antibiotics if you have a tooth infection, a recurrent strep infection, or a weakened immune system.
Medical treatments for sore throat right earache depend on the cause. Your doctor may advise you on one of the following treatments:
- Take prescription acid reflux medications
- Using inhaled or oral corticosteroids
- Take prescription allergy medicine
- Surgery to remove tonsils or adenoids
You should see your doctor if your sore throat or earache persists and doesn't go away, or if you have the following symptoms:
- High fever
- Sore throat, severe ear pain
- Ear bleeding or pus
- Stiff neck/neck
- Heartburn and acid reflux occur frequently
- Toothache or tooth abscess
- Weak immune system
In addition, some symptoms may be signs of a serious illness or complication. Therefore, the patient should immediately go to the emergency room if the sore throat is accompanied by the following problems:
- Difficulty breathing or swallowing
- Laryngeal stridor
Home Remedies for Earache and Sore Throat are quite effective. However, in some cases, medical intervention is necessary. If Home Remedies for Earache and Sore Throat do not work or symptoms become more severe, you need to seek medical attention immediately for examination and treatment.
Home Remedies for Earache and Sore Throat: 2 ways
Earache can be treated with simple home remedies. However, if the pain persists for more than 24-48 hours, it's best to see a doctor. Here are 15 effective Home Remedies for Earache that you can refer to and apply.
Earache can be treated with simple home remedies. However, if the pain persists for more than 24-48 hours, it's best to see a doctor. Here are 15 effective Home Remedies for Earache that you can refer to and apply.Read more