Haejangguk – Koreas ancient traditional hangover soup
Haejangguk are a korean food that refers to all types of guk or soup eaten as a hangover cure in Korean cuisine. It means “soup to chase a hangover” and is also called sulguk. It usually consists of dried Napa cabbage, vegetables and meat in a hearty beef broth.
There are various types of haejangguk according to region based on ingredients and recipe that give each variety its own characteristic taste such as Ugeoji haejangguk that made with ugeoji and dried leaves of Chinese cabbage – Kongnamul haejangguk made with kongnamul – Seonji haejangguk that made with seonji (선지, coagulated ox blood) – Jaecheopguk made with jaecheop (Corbicula fluminea) and buchu (garlic chives) – Gulgukbap that made with oyster and garlic chives.
Following the below steps to cook Haejangguk:
1.5kg pork tenderloin, 4 cups of clotted porcine blood, 250g pork intestines, 160g pork small intestines 3 onions, 1 red chili pepper, 2 stems of leek, 80g ginger, 3 cloves of garlic, 1 stalk of spring onion, 2T oil, 210ml rice vinegar, 3.5T chonju (i.e. rice wine), 3T flour, 6T potato starch, 6T salt, 12 cups of water, 2t caster sugar, 1T oil.
(1) 1t chonju, 1/4t sesame oil, 1t grain syrup.
(2) 1/3t salt.
1. Rinse pork tenderloin; Blanch in the boiling water for 30 seconds; Lift the pork up immediately and rinse in cold running water till cool; Drain; Cut into pieces; Marinate in seasoning (1) till ready to use.
2. Chill pork small intestine in fridge for 1 hour.
3. Peel and rinse ginger; Cut most into shred; Cut the remaining into slices.
4. Cut off the roots of spring onion; Rinse and drain; Cut an half into sections; Chop the remaining.
5. Place pork intestines in a big plate; Sprinkle with 3T potato starch and 3T salt over the pork intestines; Rub-clean the intestines with your hands for 6 minutes; Rinse the pork intestines in running water; Sprinkle with 3T potato starch and 3T salt over the pork intestines again; Drizzle with 3T rice vinegar over the pork intestines; Rub-clean the pork intestines with your hand for 6 minutes; Turn the pork intestines inside out; Rub-clean the pork intestines with your hands for another 6 minutes; Rinse in running water thoroughly; Scrape off any dirt; Rinse in running water thoroughly again; Cut into sections.
6. Take the pork small intestine out of the fridge from the step 2; Rub off any dirt and the fat; Blanch in boiling water for 1 minute; Lift the pork small intestine up immediately and rinse in cold running water till cool; Flip one opening end of the pork small intestine over and thread the pork small intestine onto a chopstick (important to thread the pork small intestine till the other end is threaded onto the chopstick); Hold the pork small intestine close to the top of the chopstick with one hand and hold the top of the chopstick with another hand; Pull the chopstick and the pork small intestine into opposite direction so that the pork small intestine is turned inside out; Blanch in boiling water for 1 minute again; Lift the pork small intestine up immediately and rinse in cold running water till cool; Place into a big mixing bowl; Sprinkle with 3T flour over the pork small intestine; Drizzle with 3T rice vinegar and 3T chonju over the pork small intestine; Rub-clean for 3 minutes; Fill the bowl with lukewarm water; Rub-clean for 2 minutes; Drain; Fill the bowl with lukewarm water again; Rub-clean for 2 minutes; Drain; Cut into sections.
7. Soak porcine blood in water for 15 minutes; Lift the porcine blood up; Blanch in boiling water for 1 minute; Lift the porcine blood up and drain.
8. Add 1T oil to a skillet; Heat over a high heat; Add the ginger slices and the spring onion sections; Stir-fry over a high heat till fragrant; Drizzle with some chonju; Pour 1 cup of water into the skillet; Add 2t caster sugar; Stir over a low heat till the sugar dissolved; Add the porcine blood; Bring to the boil over a high heat again; Turn to a low heat; Cook over a low heat for 3 minutes; Turn off the heat; Lift the porcine blood up.
9. Peel, rinse and cut garlic into slices.
10. Peel, rinse and cut onions into slices.
11. Rinse a red chili pepper; Cut off the stem; Cut into slices diagonally; Discard the seeds.
12. Cut off the roots of leek; Rinse and drain; Cut into slices diagonally.
13. Pour 11 cups of water and the remaining rice vinegar into a clay pot; Bring to the boil over a high heat; Add the pork tenderloin from the step 1, the remaining ginger, the garlic, the pork intestines from the step 5 and the pork small intestines from the step 6; Bring to the boil over a high heat again; Turn to a low heat; Cover the pot with its lid; Cook over a low heat for 40 minutes; Uncover; Skim off any foam and fat; Add the onion, the spring onion and the porcine blood from the step 8; Cover the pot with its lid; Cook over a low heat for another 40 minutes; Uncover; Flavor with seasoning (2); Gently stir over a low heat till mixed; Turn off the heat; Arrange in serving plates; Garnish with the leek and the red chili pepper; Serve hot.
We recommend getting a good cookbook and experimenting. In the meantime, here are some simple and healthy meal ideas to start with… BREAKFAST Bagel with soy cream cheese Cereal/granola with Soy/Almond/Rice/Hemp/Flax/Coconut milk Fruit smoothie Oatmeal made with soymilk and strawberries/...
People who are of short or average height often want to be taller. Being tall could help a lot in improving how one person feels about herself or himself. People who are short, especially men, may become self-conscious about...
The article will list some interesting things you cannot miss. #1: The very first thing, of course, food Never wake up in the afternoon or you will miss amazing things / Ph: Dubai Food Festival One of the exciting...
It can not be denied that since 2013, Copenhagen Street Food has been the area of the most pleasant taste and always available food on Copenhagen food shops. Therefore, as normal, the festival has a 500-metre long-table and having...
Success is the most important motivator to implement healthy diet and do exercises. With the support of the following drink recipes to burn belly fat fast before bed, people would be able to achieve good results and soon have...